Skip to main content

Shubha Mangala-Nuptial Musings


Shubha Mangala
Nuptial Musings

2012-the end of the world, they told us. And it looked like it because people around me were getting married left, right and center. That was still ok. I was stunned when my father told me it is time for me to think of getting married!

Now that we are all of the “marriageable” age, my friends and I have discussed it over a thousand times. Almost each one of us has a different opinion about it. Everytime we talk about it the scene looks similar to one of the sessions of parliament. Each one of us tries to convince the other. And at the end of it, we hold on to our opinions the way a fanatically religious man swears by his holy book!

One of my friends, a girl, let us call her A, is of the opinion that we should leave it to our parents. They will look for a good life partner for you. And if something goes wrong, you can obviously blame it on your parents! Now, I must tell you the premise behind her judgment. A and I (that is me, and not a third person “I”) are of similar nature. Two words in English literature were invented only to define us: demanding and possessive. So, the men we will marry are definitely going to have “one hell of a time!” Literally. “Why not let our parents do the dirty job of finding guys for girls like us!” is her argument.

There is this guy, who says, don’t think about it! At this point, it is my duty to tell you this guy’s story. He has a girlfriend but his parents won’t let him marry her- the girl is from a different caste. The guy tried convincing his parents but they would not budge. He gave in and his new mantra is: Don’t think about it. Don’t think about your marriage! I liked his advice, I gave it a shot. It felt like taking up board exams without any preparations whatsoever! I cannot “not think” of my marriage!

One friend almost convinced me. He says, all this is c*&#p. Nothing in life is as important as your work. I agree with him (For those of you who do not agree, let us save that argument for another blog J). Stop all this nonsense & work, is what he says! Forget about marriage. I think it is a good idea. But I wonder if a human being can ever escape sex, love and other emotions! So with or without marriage, you have to go through it. Then why not get married!

A few of my friends are preparing themselves for what I call as “the Indian pre-nuptial parade”. They have decided to get their marriage “arranged”. “It has a beauty of its own” they say.

As for me, I am a staunch believer in not getting marriage arranged. I won’t say I am a staunch believer in “love marriage” either.  

Let me explain.

It is about the process. For me to get married to a person, I may not be in “love” with that person. But it is important for me to know the person personally. An arranged marriage does not permit that luxury. In an arranged marriage, you may know what the person does for living, you may know how is he/she perceived socially, you may know a lot about that person’s family. But you can never know how the person is within the four walls of his house.

I can spend the rest of my life with a person only if I respect the values that he believes in. How does someone expect me to understand a person’s values in three or four meetings? Not being a movie buff, it is funny that I should be reminded of a movie right now- “Jaane tu ya Jaane na”. I am not a great fan of the movie but that movie has an important lesson that we might miss. The girl meets a guy. He is smart, rich and strong! He is everything she had asked for. The girl is completely smitten by the guy. They stay together for sometime until one day the guy finds out that the girl is in love with her best friend. He slaps her then and there! In 2-3 meetings all that you can know is that the guy is smart, rich, funny, intelligent, witty! It takes time to know the value system of the other person.

And is it not about sex also? I cannot think of sleeping with a person who does not have belief in my values! Let me explain this by quoting one of my favorite authors, Ayn Rand:
“A man’s sexual choice is the result and the sum of his fundamental convictions. Tell me what a man finds sexually attractive and I will tell you his entire philosophy of life. Show me the woman he sleeps with and I will tell you his valuation of himself. It is an act that forces him to stand naked in spirit, as well as in body, and to accept his real ego as his standard of value. He will always be attracted to a woman who reflects his deepest version of himself, the woman whose surrender permits him to experience- or to fake- a sense of self esteem. The man who is proudly certain of his own value will want the highest type of woman he can find, the woman he admires, the strongest, the hardest to conquer-because only the possession of a heroine will give him the sense of an achievement, not the possession of a brainless slut.”

I will keep looking for the man who has faith in my values. I will consider myself the luckiest person alive if I find a person who has the same values as my mine!
And the day I find you, baby I will be all yours, for life! J

 (This article is dedicated to Deepthi Ranjith, who got married on 28th of May,2012 and those from BD ’10-’12 who will get married soon. Cheers! May you live the marriage of your dreams!)

Comments

  1. Quote"I can spend the rest of my life with a person only if I respect the values that he believes in. How does someone expect me to understand a person’s values in three or four meetings?"

    Fortunately in today's scenario, people who meet through matrimonials start spending time with each other ,if they are attracted in the first place and parents approve of this until they are sure they want to marry each other.And this ends up to be a Love+arranged marriage.I'm sure you'll agree this option shouldn't be left out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about it, Ila. If you meet someone thinking that you may want to marry the person, would you not want to put your best foot forward? If the person always tries to be at his/her best, you will never get to know the person completely. I think it is better to see that person in everyday situations!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now i have to put on my thinking cap.

      Delete
  3. Lovely. You should right more often.

    That said, we always rationalize our choices. And an arranged marriage is pretty much that. But for a lot of people, finding, recognizing true love is not easy. And they don't want to spend their lives being single, so an arranged marriage is interesting as well.

    I want you to write a blogpost about the point of 'work being the most important thing in this world'

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha..i like being A :D
    and i believe Any Rand is tad bit delusional.I lowe her quote wrt to sex but rest assured i can say possession of brainless slut does seem to be in favor!
    I think you should broaden your perspective here.not restrict to 2 choices and 1 more as recommended by Ila.

    I bet it will be a painstaking and absolutely crazy task getting 'the boi'. Worst then selecting a Business school :P Till then enjoy the game and be reckless...what is the fun in playing it safe :)
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know possession of brainless sluts is one point where we would not agree, like a lot of other things :)
      And I would not choose other options because I really want to see the guy in his daily routine, I don't want to see him be the man of my dreams for the few times that we meet. I want him to be the one who I respect the most and he better be that- not for the few times that we meet but for life!
      Btw aru, I think you know the other characters as well! :D :D
      Lowe you.

      Delete
  5. "All this is c*&#p. Nothing in life is as important as your work". Respect to the dude who said it!

    "But I wonder if a human being can ever escape sex, love and other emotions!". Respect to the dudette who replied! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. couldn't find a better piece of writing on weddings! loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know... At the end of the day, it's about the feeling you have about wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone. The "click" may happen in your first meeting (like it happened with my parents who've been together for 30 years and are still very much in love!!) or it could happen years after knowing someone.

    Which is where Erica Jong's quote makes utter sense. "Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more." :)

    Deleted the prev one coz of a spelling mistake!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember Me When I am Gone

Dear All, This is how I start my formal, official mails- “Dear All”. I wish I could have started this, ummm, this letter more informally. (I do not have a better word for it- It is more of a cry than a letter, not directed at anyone specifically but at everyone.) I cannot start this informally though. The matter that I wish to convey is of a sombre nature. This lockdown has been difficult for everyone. It has been especially difficult because we have been hearing of the death of some very well-known names. Sushant Singh Rajput passed away today, and it is said that he hanged himself. Finality of death is such that it has caused us human beings to dream up an afterlife. It is the ultimate full stop! End of a 34-year-old, at the peak of his career, with so much to offer. After Sushant’s death, people have been speculating if it was really a suicide. A friend’s friend said, “When you are an over achiever, you are involved in things that have some big consequences. We do not know

I have two friends who don't see eye to eye

I have two friends who don’t see eye to eye. On the rare occasion that you find them in the same place, they will be at each other’s necks. One is Zidd and the other one is Samajdhari. Both of them love me dearly. Although I must admit that Samajdhari detests my affection for Zidd. “Who do you love more?” they asked me once. How do I answer this question, I wondered. Imagine a partner, who was two timing, caught and questioned by their partners, “Who do you love more!” To be honest, Samajhdari had been in my life before Zidd. But when I was molested as a kid and felt that the world had abandoned me, my relationship with Samajhdari took a hit. We broke up for a few years. That is when Zidd entered my life and cared for me. Zidd would vehemently protect me from people who always had things to say about me- 'Girls don’t get angry!' 'No will marry you if you ruin your face in Karate fights!' 'It is inauspicious for girls to break coconut during auspicious occasion