Skip to main content

Kya apke ladke ko plumbing aati hai?


I am all for being tolerant and patient towards different belief systems that exist in this world. But once in a while, I am confronted with something that completely rattles the logical faculties of my brain and I am left wondering- Am I a dumb person who fails to see the enlightening truth in other person’s argument?

Let me take you through some incredible situations that I have been in or that I have come across:

#1 Kya Aapke ladke ko plumbing aati hai?
While a friend was being interviewed for arranged marriage, the guy’s parents asked her- “Kya aapko cooking aati hai? (Can you cook?)” My well-educated friend, with a high-paying job, gave them an incredulous look. She did not know what to say! The guy’s parents were probably clever enough to interpret this gesture and so the mother quickly corrected, “We are not going to ask you to cook daily but one should know how to cook in case there is some kind of emergency.”

I told my friend that the only reply to this question is another question- “Kya apke ladke ko plumbing aati hai? (Can your son do plumbing?) One should know in case there is some kind of emergency!”

What is this “emergency” that they were talking about? Unless the girl is a chef, asking her if she can cook is disrespecting her education. I mean, would anyone ask the boy the question that I mentioned above?

#2 Some unsolicited judgments
I got into Cummins College of Engineering in the year 2005. My father, who was very proud of me, mentioned it to a few people. One of his friends, who knew absolutely nothing about me, walked up to me and asked “How much did your father pay to get you into Cummins?”

I wonder how he arrived at the conclusion that my father had to pay! Did he think of it because my father was a business man who made decent amount of money or because my father was not very well educated? I don’t know but he left me puzzled.

I laughed at his statement. I had scored 174 out of 200 in Maharashtra State Entrance Exams in 2005 and I was eligible to get into COEP, which is rated as the best engineering college in Pune.

#3 Khoon ka karz!
I have a friend, who was detected with cancer two years ago. She is married and has a 5 year old kid. Neither her in-laws nor her husband were available for her treatment. It was her father who ran with her from pillar to post, from one hospital to another! And yet, when her father had a heart attacked, she was busy doing chores at her sasural! She visited her father only once in the hospital. Her mother-in-law’s wrath overshadowed the love she felt for her father.


Whenever I come across such stories, I fail to understand this world. I fail to understand “duniyadaari”. Am I the only one? Do share your stories.

Comments

  1. Hi,

    1. The correct answer to the question is:
    a) Yes.
    b) No.
    c) Lil bit, or maybe something fuzzy...
    d) I am uncomfortable with the question, could you please move on?
    I fail to understand what is wrong with the question itself, or how does it disrespect someone's education? Similarly, if the corresponding question (plumbing) was asked to a guy, the answer ought to be from the 4 options listed above.
    As far as the 2nd comment/explanation of the mother is concerned, she clearly had a brain fart.

    2. Fallacy of presumption, the man in question could do with this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

    3. Damn humans! Defective induction (in my reaction)?

    Sincerely,
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why arrange marriages have Job Descriptions. Resumes with technical skills, education qualifications and monetary incentives cooked up to portray a candidature for life long employment!

    Wouldn't it be nice to let go of resume, and have real conversation about life experiences, ambitions and even the small little things that make up for the big part of life.

    Shrikant Zarekar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. PPR piping

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. Blocked drains melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shubha Mangala-Nuptial Musings

Shubha Mangala Nuptial Musings 2012-the end of the world, they told us. And it looked like it because people around me were getting married left, right and center. That was still ok. I was stunned when my father told me it is time for me to think of getting married! Now that we are all of the “marriageable” age, my friends and I have discussed it over a thousand times. Almost each one of us has a different opinion about it. Everytime we talk about it the scene looks similar to one of the sessions of parliament. Each one of us tries to convince the other. And at the end of it, we hold on to our opinions the way a fanatically religious man swears by his holy book! One of my friends, a girl, let us call her A, is of the opinion that we should leave it to our parents. They will look for a good life partner for you. And if something goes wrong, you can obviously blame it on your parents! Now, I must tell you the premise behind her judgment. A and I (that is me, and not a th

Remember Me When I am Gone

Dear All, This is how I start my formal, official mails- “Dear All”. I wish I could have started this, ummm, this letter more informally. (I do not have a better word for it- It is more of a cry than a letter, not directed at anyone specifically but at everyone.) I cannot start this informally though. The matter that I wish to convey is of a sombre nature. This lockdown has been difficult for everyone. It has been especially difficult because we have been hearing of the death of some very well-known names. Sushant Singh Rajput passed away today, and it is said that he hanged himself. Finality of death is such that it has caused us human beings to dream up an afterlife. It is the ultimate full stop! End of a 34-year-old, at the peak of his career, with so much to offer. After Sushant’s death, people have been speculating if it was really a suicide. A friend’s friend said, “When you are an over achiever, you are involved in things that have some big consequences. We do not know

I have two friends who don't see eye to eye

I have two friends who don’t see eye to eye. On the rare occasion that you find them in the same place, they will be at each other’s necks. One is Zidd and the other one is Samajdhari. Both of them love me dearly. Although I must admit that Samajdhari detests my affection for Zidd. “Who do you love more?” they asked me once. How do I answer this question, I wondered. Imagine a partner, who was two timing, caught and questioned by their partners, “Who do you love more!” To be honest, Samajhdari had been in my life before Zidd. But when I was molested as a kid and felt that the world had abandoned me, my relationship with Samajhdari took a hit. We broke up for a few years. That is when Zidd entered my life and cared for me. Zidd would vehemently protect me from people who always had things to say about me- 'Girls don’t get angry!' 'No will marry you if you ruin your face in Karate fights!' 'It is inauspicious for girls to break coconut during auspicious occasion