Skip to main content

We are all mad here!

Source: https://www.behance.net/gallery/35154617/JokerMad-Hatter-Design

Today, 10th of Oct is "World Mental Health Day" and even google bhaiyya does not want to make a doodle for it. 

The struggle is real!

So I wrote on facebook the other day about mental health and I got all sorts of comments. And I wondered why I inflicted this upon myself. You know how people put a caption beneath their pictures- “Felt cute, may delete later.” I should put a disclaimer with all of my opinions “Felt right, may change later.”

Approximately 0.1% of Indians have cancer—I verified this information from 2-3 different surveys (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5826535/). On the other hand, 6% of Indians suffer from mental illnesses. And yet, we know so much more about cancer than mental illnesses.

I don’t blame us Indians for it. I blame only one Indian who came up with this concept that if someone has mental illness matlab he is yeda, gandu, charyo, pottan, dabba, bonkers! I wish I could find that person and do charan sparsh! But I guess this concept of “mental illness= person gone bonkers” is a thing of the past. Thanks to celebrities like Deepika Padukone, mental health in India has a new dimension- now mental problems simply mean “depression”. We are so funny, no? For us, mental illness is either Sridevi from Sadma or Shahrukh from Devdaas! It is like saying - if you have a scratch on your leg, tu langda (lame);  if you have fractured your leg, tu langda; if your legs hurt because you have arthritis, tu langda; if you have muscle pain, tu langda! Every ailment related to one organ is not the same. Every person from north-east can’t be “chinky”! Every person from south is not "madrasi". Every ailment related to your brain can’t be either madness or depression!

I will list as many mental illnesses and disorders as I know. There is psychosis, anxiety (there are again different forms of anxiety), depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), dissociative identity disorder. The list is longer than this. Some of them are more common than we know. Some of us live our lives without knowing that we are suffering from these. We spend our lives singing hrithik roshan's "main aisa kyun hu". Some of us, like singham, take pride in saying "ata majhi satakli". But boss, why do want to bear the pain when you dont have to! Imagine if we could get help and become 10 times happier, 10 times calmer, what a life it would be! Right now life's background music must be arijit singh's song for some and metallica music for some! But once you get help, aai shapat (mother promise), every single day when you wake up, "la la la la la" will start playing in the background! Wouldn't that be cool? 

PS: 
In my next article on mental health, I will talk more about getting help.
Till then , you can read Neel Burton's book "Meaning of Madness" to understand different types of mental illnesses.
If that is too much for you, simply google "movie characters with mental illness". It is a lot of fun!

Comments

  1. Hi Shivani, appreciate your writing. can you please upload your next article.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shubha Mangala-Nuptial Musings

Shubha Mangala Nuptial Musings 2012-the end of the world, they told us. And it looked like it because people around me were getting married left, right and center. That was still ok. I was stunned when my father told me it is time for me to think of getting married! Now that we are all of the “marriageable” age, my friends and I have discussed it over a thousand times. Almost each one of us has a different opinion about it. Everytime we talk about it the scene looks similar to one of the sessions of parliament. Each one of us tries to convince the other. And at the end of it, we hold on to our opinions the way a fanatically religious man swears by his holy book! One of my friends, a girl, let us call her A, is of the opinion that we should leave it to our parents. They will look for a good life partner for you. And if something goes wrong, you can obviously blame it on your parents! Now, I must tell you the premise behind her judgment. A and I (that is me, and not a th

Remember Me When I am Gone

Dear All, This is how I start my formal, official mails- “Dear All”. I wish I could have started this, ummm, this letter more informally. (I do not have a better word for it- It is more of a cry than a letter, not directed at anyone specifically but at everyone.) I cannot start this informally though. The matter that I wish to convey is of a sombre nature. This lockdown has been difficult for everyone. It has been especially difficult because we have been hearing of the death of some very well-known names. Sushant Singh Rajput passed away today, and it is said that he hanged himself. Finality of death is such that it has caused us human beings to dream up an afterlife. It is the ultimate full stop! End of a 34-year-old, at the peak of his career, with so much to offer. After Sushant’s death, people have been speculating if it was really a suicide. A friend’s friend said, “When you are an over achiever, you are involved in things that have some big consequences. We do not know

I have two friends who don't see eye to eye

I have two friends who don’t see eye to eye. On the rare occasion that you find them in the same place, they will be at each other’s necks. One is Zidd and the other one is Samajdhari. Both of them love me dearly. Although I must admit that Samajdhari detests my affection for Zidd. “Who do you love more?” they asked me once. How do I answer this question, I wondered. Imagine a partner, who was two timing, caught and questioned by their partners, “Who do you love more!” To be honest, Samajhdari had been in my life before Zidd. But when I was molested as a kid and felt that the world had abandoned me, my relationship with Samajhdari took a hit. We broke up for a few years. That is when Zidd entered my life and cared for me. Zidd would vehemently protect me from people who always had things to say about me- 'Girls don’t get angry!' 'No will marry you if you ruin your face in Karate fights!' 'It is inauspicious for girls to break coconut during auspicious occasion